Staff Interview 9: Japan
Global Planning Division
- What do you think is MUFG's competitive edge?
- Strong relationships and trust with the customers and regulators of various countries built through our commitment to support the customers through the economic cycles, and to contribute to financial market development as well as economic growth of the countries where we have a footprint.
Also our strategic alliances with the local commercial banks and the network we create together with them, which allow us to offer unique solutions to our customers.
- What is your most rewarding experience at MUFG?
- Achieving and delivering financial close as a financial advisor to a consortium of international sponsors on a project finance deal in Oman. It was my first financial advisory deal as the project leader and I was able to engage in the deal from the very beginning, supporting the Sponsors through the project bid process, winning the bid, and thereafter overcoming many obstacles to finally bring the deal to close. I'll always remember the feeling I got from celebrating the success with sponsors, financiers/banks, and other advisors.
- How would you describe people at MUFG?
- People at MUFG are collaborative, valuing teamwork and consensus building. In my role as a strategy/planning member for the Global Business Unit executives, I have the pleasure of interacting with members from various countries and roles, but I am often amazed by the willingness of my colleagues in general, to offer support in pushing through initiatives.
- How do you spend your free time?
- I enjoy spending my time with my wife and two children who are 5 and 1 year old. My weekends (particularly when my children are awake) are dedicated to playing with the children and taking the 5 year old to his various lessons (soccer, etc.).
Having played soccer/football seriously up through college, I am an avid fan of the sport, and enjoy following European leagues, especially the Japanese players playing there.