Staff Interview 1: MUB & Americas
Americas Risk Management, MUFG Union Bank
San Francisco, United States
- What do you think is MUFG's competitive edge?
- MUFG’s competitive edge has many aspects. Foremost among them, I would highlight MUFG’s global reach, financial stability, and comprehensive products and services. These strengths make our market presence both broad and deep. In addition, our company enjoys a strong positive reputation and a culture of risk management, compliance and excellence that propel us to serve our customers and communities prudently, properly and effectively. MUFG’s competitive successes reflect this combination of global reach, comprehensiveness, risk culture, service, and excellence. MUFG’s consistent high emphasis on these elements supports MUFG’s vision as the world's most trusted financial group.
- What is your most rewarding experience at MUFG?
- My most rewarding experience is definitely working with my team and with our extended network of MUFG colleagues at all levels. I’m extremely fortunate to lead a very talented group who take pride in maintaining MUFG’s high standards. We enjoy working every day with each other and with our business partners throughout the combined U.S. operations of MUFG. In addition, I’d like to highlight a more general rewarding experience about change. Over the last few years our company has gone through an extended period of remarkable change, particularly here in the Americas, reflecting new regulatory, competitive and internal mandates. MUFG’s senior leadership has steadfastly continued to guide the company to grow, succeed, and remain centered on core values while at the same time adapting to address multiple new regulatory, market and organizational demands. It’s rewarding to know that we’re in good hands and with senior management’s guidance and support, as well as through effort and teamwork, we can continue to manage ongoing change effectively.
- How would you describe people at MUFG?
- When I think of the people of MUFG, I think of a very multifaceted group. Across the full scope of MUFG’s footprint we are diverse in almost every dimension you can think of, which is a remarkable strength. MUFG employees are highly accomplished, they focus on executing with excellence, and they value teamwork. Bringing together diversity, talent and teamwork makes the people of MUFG truly special to work with.
- How do you spend your free time?
- I enjoy spending time with family, reading, and anything having to do with food. Where I live the San Francisco Bay Area, we’re very fortunate to be able to experience all kinds of world cuisines, and we’re at the center of a productive farming and winemaking region. Learning about, shopping for, cooking and sharing food with friends and family is a great way to relax for me. I love eating out too, and there’s always a new restaurant to try. (This leads me to spend some of my free time exercising, too!)