Staff Interview 1: MUB & Americas
Global Subsidiary Banking, MUFG Union Bank
San Francisco, United States
- What do you think is MUFG's competitive edge?
- MUFG's strong capital position, risk management culture, well-developed global network, and excellent product capabilities all contribute to its competitive edge. However, it's our people and their commitment to the customer that is our real edge. As a client-centric organization, we consistently strive to exceed expectations and forge strong partnerships with our customers.
- What is your most rewarding experience at MUFG?
- During my career at MUFG, I've been fortunate to have lived and worked in several world-class cities, including Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle. My most rewarding experience at MUFG has been two postings in Tokyo. In aggregate, I spent seven years in MUFG's Head Office working with the Japan-based subsidiaries of U.S. multinational clients. While in Tokyo, I embraced Japanese culture and developed the skills necessary to lead multicultural teams.
- How would you describe people at MUFG?
- People at MUFG are passionate, creative, collaborative, and focused on delivering outstanding customer experiences. In Global Subsidiary Banking, we work across multiple geographies and time zones with teams of multicultural colleagues. This is not without its challenges, but consistent throughout is a selfless commitment and team-oriented approach.
- How do you spend your free time?
- Outside of work, I enjoy watching movies, cooking, and globetrotting with my teenage daughters. Last year we experienced the rich nature of Costa Rica and the long history of the United Kingdom. Locally, I'm very active with youth rugby as a coach and administrator. After playing for many years, I relish the opportunity to give back and am encouraged by the growth of the sport in the United States.